When it comes to saving and cutting back, there’s often a misconception that you can’t do anything because of how much it will cost. Good news! There are plenty of things you can do that don’t require excessive amounts of money (or any money at all). The CGS Team has compiled a list of 25 things to do instead of spending money. Bye bye boredom, hello bigger bank account!
25 Things to Do Instead of Spending Money…
1. Have a spa day at home! Break out the candles, bath salt and a glass of champagne. We know some great DIY Body Scrub recipes!
2. Get organized, once and for all. Check out Get Organized from the Inside Out.
3. Host a potluck with your friends, family, or coworkers.
4. Explore online recipes and pick out your meals for the next week or two.
5. Throw a fashion show to clean out your closet. You may even be able to make money clearing out that closet!
6. Read magazines at your local bookstore or library.
7. Research and attend free events in your city.
8. Visit the library to catch up on novel reading.
9. Open an eBay store to sell your old clothes, shoes, and general items.
10. Organize all of your old pictures (online and in print). Kohl’s always seems to have picture albums on sale.
11. Create a goals journal and write out your goals for the next month, year, and five years.
12. Binge-watch a show you’ve always wanted to see.
13. Rearrange your bedroom, office, or living area.
15. Read archives of your favorite blogs (starting with City Girl Savings, of course).
16. Connect with old business or career contacts. A simple, friendly email can go a long way.
18. Research “manicure inspiration” on Pinterest and put those old polishes to work
19. Start learning a new language. Check out Duolingo.
20. Brainstorm ways to turn your hobby, craft, and skills into a side business.
21. Research restaurants with the best happy hour prices, for your next night out.
22. Set up a financial filing system.
23. Start your own blog. We have a great checklist to help you get started.
24. Make a list of 10 things you want to do, try, or visit before your next milestone birthday.
25. Clean, mend, stitch and fix old clothes and shoes that you still want to keep.
Get creative with it! Saving money doesn’t mean you have to be a recluse sitting on the couch all day. We’re certain there’s always a task that needs to be done in your home! What things do you like to do that don’t require huge amounts of money? Share your ideas by leaving a comment below!