#63: How to Financially Prioritize Your Needs and Wants



A key component of financial success is knowing the difference between needs and wants, and then being able to say no to the wants.

Much like practicing delayed gratification, which we’ve talked about before.

If you haven’t been able to financially prioritize your needs and wants, or if you feel like your wants have always come first, it’s time to change things up!

Reaching financial success means you put the most important things first, and the rest comes later.

Sacrificing is a big part of it.

In this episode, I’m going to walk you through how to financially prioritize your needs and wants, so you can start making progress towards your goals.

As you get started with prioritizing your needs over your wants, give yourself some grace. It’s not always a flip of the switch, but consistency is key!

Here’s a glance at this episode:

      • [01:44] Raya helps a listener decide whether to focus on paying down debt or building up savings, in this City Girl Solutions Q&A.

      • [03:16] Before prioritizing needs and wants, it’s important to understand the differences between the two. Raya breaks them down.

      • [04:58] Start by recognizing your needs, specific to your situation. What do you not currently have that is an essential need?

      • [08:00] After your income is allocated to your needs, 75% of what’s left over should be allocated to your financial goals.

      • [10:41] After your income is allocated to your needs, 25% of what’s left over should be allocated to your wants – the remaining 75% should have already been allocated to your goals.

    Click here to listen!

    Rate, Review, & Follow on Apple Podcasts

    “I love Raya and City Girl Savings!” <– If that sounds like you, please consider rating and reviewing my show!

    This helps me support more people — just like you — to make the best money moves as they make their way to their dream life.

     Click here, scroll to the bottom, tap to rate with five stars, and select “Write a Review.” Then be sure to let me know what you loved most about the episode!

    Also, if you haven’t done so already, subscribe to the podcast. So many great episodes are on the way and, if you’re not subscribed, there’s a good chance you’ll miss out. Subscribe now!

    Resources mentioned in this episode:

    Listen to Episode #37 – How Practicing Delayed Gratification Sets You Up for Financial Success

    Get your question answered on the podcast! Ask your question here.

    Struggling with your finances? Schedule a free financial focus call with me!

    Follow City Girl Savings on Instagram

    Follow City Girl Savings on TikTok

    Check out the City Girl Savings blog!

    Share:

    Facebook
    Twitter
    Pinterest
    LinkedIn

    Leave a Comment

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    17 + 3 =

    Related Posts